Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead


I love and hate this picture for the same reason. It is awkward. It makes ME feel trapped in a box, because HE looks like he's trapped in a box. Which reminded of a movie dialogue that I remember from a LONG time ago.

ROSENCRANTZ: Do you ever think of yourself as actually dead,
lying in a box with a lid on it?

GUlL: No.

ROSENCRANTZ: Nor do I, really... It's silly to be depressed by it. I mean one
thinks of it like being alive in a box, one keeps forgetting to
take into account the fact that one is dead... which should
make a difference... shouldn't it? I mean, you'd never know
you were in a box, would you? It would be just like being
asleep in a box. Not that I'd like to sleep in a box, mind you,
not without any air - you'd wake up dead, for a start and then
where would you be? Apart from inside a box. That's the bit I
don't like, frankly. That's why I don't think of it.

Because you'd be helpless, wouldn't you? Stuffed in a box
like that, I mean you'd be in there for ever. Even taking
into account the fact that you're dead, really... ask
yourself, if! asked you straight off - I'm going to stuff you
in this box now, would you rather be alive or dead?
Naturally, you'd prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better
than no life at all. I expect. You'd have a chance at least.
You could he there thinking - well, at least I'm not dead!
In a minute someone's going to bang on the lid and tell me
to come out. (Banging on the floor with his fists.) 'Hey you,
whatsyernaine! Come out of there!'

No comments: